Monday, March 20, 2023

Spiritual Seeds


 What kind of spiritual seeds are you planting?

There are six things the LORD hates – no, seven things he detests . . . a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

~ Proverbs 6: 16-19


The official first day of spring is here! Though outside the temperatures have hovered in the forties and are supposed to drop to below freezing tonight for the fourth night in a row, my sights are set on the coming of warmer weather, sunshine, and the planting of flower seeds.


I love planting flowers. I've had vegetable gardens, but none of them have brought me as much joy as the years I've planted flowers. The colors and smells sing to my soul. They display the grace and beauty found in God's glorious nature.


In our walk with God, we plant seeds all the time. In some situations, we plant the seeds of encouragement like when a child is having difficulty with homework and we cheer him on. Then there are times we sow the seeds of compassion or mercy like when someone has experienced a loss or has shared with us a need that we can meet.


But recently, I have found that the enemy also plants seeds, and unfortunately, sometimes he uses us to do it.  These seeds slip into our conversations as doubt or worry or fear causing us to look to ourselves for the answers to our problems instead of to God, the Father.


I'm not talking about ignoring your emotions. We all are worried or fearful or have doubts at times. But find a prayer buddy who will take it to the Father with you. Don't let those seeds grow.

 
The enemy also loves to plant the seeds of discord among families and especially the family of believers. A little grudge here, a few unmet expectations there and we voice our hurt to others planting seeds in them as well.   Oh, the enemy is tricky.

 
Be vigilant, both in your home and your heart. When you recognize the seeds of discord, pluck them out. Get rid of them, so your heart will be full of the love of God.

 
As a gardener, I know I have to keep the bad seeds out, so the good seeds can grow and take root. And as a believer, I must protect the good seeds of God's Word planted in my heart, so His Word can grow and take root.


Dear Father, 
Thank you for spring. It brings me such joy. Please as I plant the flowers and tend to the yard this year, show me any seeds that the enemy has planted in my heart and pull them out. Let Your Word, Father, take root in my life and may it grow and bloom bringing hope to others. In Jesus' name, amen.












 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time is Precious

  So be careful how you live. Don't live like fools, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days....